Sunday, July 15, 2012

Donor Dash 5k 2012

I tend to walk away from most races with one of two things: a new PR, or a lesson.   The takeaway from today's race was definitely the latter, to wit: Get to the starting line on time!

I blame myself for this. Instead of moving to the starting line with plenty of time to spare, as I tend to do, I decided to hang back with my family.  Consequently, by the time I said, "Gee, I better get up there," the national anthem was already more than half over.  I jogged my way through the crowds but still was nowhere near even the end of the "runners" crowd (as opposed to the "strollers & walkers" group) when the horn blasted.  This being (as most are) a chip-timed race, one might not think this would matter, since my time wouldn't even start until I crossed the starting line.  However the Donor Dash this year had over 3,000 participants, and I was trying to make my way through probably 700 of them that weren't planning on racing.  So, I spent a good portion of the first half mile dodging, ducking, and weaving through the crowd until things loosened up a bit on Louisiana.

Then, of course, there was the fact that I'd had a 20-mile training run yesterday.  As I've said before, I kind of enjoy having races the day after 20-plus mile runs, because it helps condition me to run well when tired--as happens during the last 10k of a marathon.  I've found, however, that I tend to max out my speed at about 8-minute miles in these examples (as in the Cherry Creek Sneak for 2011 and 2012).  I would love to be able to hold an 8-minute mile during the last 10k of my next marathon; but for a 5k I'd like to run a little faster (my current 5k PR, from 2011's Father's Day, was at 7-minute pace).  Clearly another lesson I have yet to learn is, stop running short races the day after 20 milers--or, at least, don't expect a PR.

But I am pleased with today's race.  24:42 is a respectable time.  And, of course, my dad, sisters, and brother-in-law also had a lot of fun.  And so did my nephew, who won the Crawler heat of the Diaper Dash!

Official Time: 24:42
YTD Race Miles: 65.3
YTD Total miles: 777.3
Diaper Dash Victory: For crawling slightly farther than the other baby in the race, Dax won a Children's Hospital night light.

No comments:

Post a Comment