Sunday, June 17, 2012

Arvada Father's Day 5k 2012

PRAELUDIUM
Yesterday was the first run of the Runner's Edge summer session.  As always, I was excited to see so many friends before the run, and looked forward to a great summer running with them.  Before starting the run, of course I worked the crowd, saying Hi to friends that I'd not seen since the end of our spring session, a few weeks ago.  Instead of staying and socializing as I typically do after my run, immediately after finishing I had to jump in the car to get downtown to take care of some business.  Because of this, it wasn't until much later that day that I heard the tragic news:  one of my teammates, Mike Fontes, had been hit by a car on his return trip.  He was taken to a hospital but did not survive the injuries.  I was, of course, heartbroken to hear this.  Mike was a friend, and a good man and excellent example of the kind of runner I try to be:  social, friendly, supportive, always pushing himself to excel, yet humble.  I decided to dedicate my run at this year's Father's Day 5k to his memory.

I was somewhat disappointed to see, upon reviewing my race results spreadsheet (you don't have one?), that I haven't set a PR in a year.  Exactly a year, in fact:  the last PR I set was at 2011's Father's Day 5k.  And while I've had decent race times so far in 2012, none of them has been a world-beater.  I had definite hopes that this race would be, that I would finally find the speed I seem to have been missing so far all this year.

It was not to be.  I ran the first mile in 7:24, which would have been fine if I could have pushed myself faster for the rest of the race.  But I could not.  In fact, I fell apart immediately, and the second mile was 8:24.  I rallied a bit in the third mile (Metallica again, "All Nightmare Long"), which I ran in 8:03; but it wasn't enough to make up for that second mile, let alone the first.  At least my finishing kick was strong (of course it was, I had so much energy left).

So not my best race.  Slower even than my last 5k a month ago, and that was the day after a 22-mile run!  But it's okay:  every race is a learning experience, and I'm going to dedicate my summer (as I should have dedicated my spring) to getting my speed back.

Official Time: 24:58
YTD Race Miles: 56
YTD Total Miles: 665
Father/Son:  My dad and I both came in 14th in our respective divisions.  So, there's that.

POSTLUDIUM
In the days since Michael's tragic death, I have seen dozens upon dozens of supportive posts on Facebook for his grieving families, both actual and running, from members of those groups.  A memorial has appeared at the intersection where he was hit, consisting of running apparel and gear as well as letters and pictures dedicated to his memory (I myself made a small contribution earlier today).  It is a small but fitting tribute for a runner and a man who touched and inspired so many of his friends.  I am sorry that I did not know him better, but I feel that I have gotten to know him better through the comments I have seen from those who did know him well.  He was a good man; and as someone who has also lost a parent too young, my heart and prayers are with his grieving family.  Rest in Peace, Mike.  Long May You Run.

No comments:

Post a Comment