Sunday, September 13, 2009

Fans on the Field 5k 2009

Yesterday I ran 20 miles. It was my last long run before the forthcoming St George (UT) marathon on October 3. Usually, Coach Dave of Runner's Edge of the Rockies schedules our weekly runs so that my last 20 happens on The Parker Run, an infamous (within the group) and challenging run that starts in Aurora and crosses over E470 into Parker. There are some long, slow climbs on that run, and its reputation is well deserved. We often joke about the difficulty of that run, and (tongue firmly in cheek) try to scare newer members with horror stories.

(Actually the truth of the matter, from my point of view, is that it's not that bad. Sure, it is a difficult run, but I enjoy the challenge and the feeling of conquest I get whenever I finish. Also--at least to date--none of my marathons has been as challenging as The Parker Run.)

This season, though, The Parker Run wasn't my last 20. Instead, yesterday's run was out in Lone Tree, starting in Park Meadows and moving south through Bluffs Regional Park. Coach Dave called this run "Parker Junior," and with good reason. A steady climb up for the first 2 miles, then a quick descent followed by a long, slow climb through the Park, then up and over two steep peaks before levelling out somewhat. Then, we had to go back along the same path!

For my money, this run is even more challenging than The Parker Run. They're pretty comparable in terms of total elevation gain, but there are some steep descents on this one that Parker lacks. For all the increased difficulty, though, the 6 of us that went 20 pulled each other through with encouragement, teamwork, and funny stories. It was a very fulfilling run, and a great way to wrap up my hard training prior to my taper.

Now (in the words of Bill Cosby), I told you that story to tell you this one.

Earlier this week I finally got around to registering for the Fans on the Field 10k, an event that I ran in 2007 but missed in 2008 because I was in Omaha for the marathon. Fans on the Field is a fun race that starts at Mile High, runs to and through the Pepsi Center, Coors Field, and Mile High at the end. I'd put it on my calendar a few months ago, when I realized it didn't conflict with the Disneyland Half marathon. I was looking forward to running this race, even knowing that since I'd run 20 the day before a PR was hardly in the cards. And up until about 5:45 yesterday afternoon, I still planned on running the 10k. But, I got to thinking, that would be like running a full marathon (in two days). Why would I do that to myself? Oh sure, I could tell myself that I would take it very easy at the race, and maybe even walk it; but I know me. I wouldn't do that. So I decided to dial back to the 5k. What the hell.

It was a beautiful morning for a race. There was some fog early on, but by race time it had burned away. There was a good crowd for both the 10k and the 5k. I checked in with my friend Keri, who was working the event. I told her that I planned to take it pretty easy in the race, since I'd run 20 miles the day before, and anticipated finishing in just under 27 minutes. ("It is recognized that you have a funny sense of 'easy.'")

Naturally, once the race started, all thoughts of relaxing and going easy on myself flew out of my head, replaced by the rush of competition and the thrill of pushing myself. I pushed a very aggressive pace for the first quarter mile, before forcing myself back. I soon settled in to what I thought was an easy effort, but was surprised to find myself passing runners right and left. Honestly, on a scale of 1 to 10 I really felt that I was going about a 7, maybe 6 1/2, but I was still moving through the crowd with relative ease.

Just before the 1 mile mark, I was passed by a tall kid who looked like he was hardly expending any effort. I took no real notice at the time, because he was hardly the first person to have passed me (although that number compared with the number of runners I passed was definitely small). I just kept on running my own race, staying within my fairly easy-feeling effort and slowly moving my way up through the pack. However, about the time we got to the Pepsi Center, I saw him ahead of me. I caught up to him quickly and, as we ran across the lacrosse field, passed him by. I expected him to pull alongside me very quickly; but when he did not I put him out of my mind again.

Until, that is, we turned onto the bridge to take us across the Platte River on the east side of Mile High at mile 2.6. I was feeling good at that point; I'd increased my pace steadily over the course of the run and, with a half mile to go, was preparing to turn it up just a little more. When suddenly, that same kid came tearing past me! "Good job," he said as he caught up. "You, too!" I replied. "Was sure I'd dropped you." For about a second I debated the merits of racing him down, weighing which was more likely: a photo finish, or him leaving me in his dust. I decided that I had nothing to prove, since I'd run 20 miles the day before (did I mention that?). "All yours, kid," I said as I held myself to my current (granted, sub-8-minute-mile) pace, and chuckled to myself as he tore past me. Oh, to be young and well-rested.

I still finished with a respectable time of 25:30 (by my watch. The 5k race isn't officially timed). I spent the rest of today off my feet, and will take tomorrow off from running, which should give me enough time to recharge before Tuesday's workout. And, by dropping back from the 10k, I had a 5k for September that I otherwise would have had to make up next month. So all in all, a pretty good day.

"Official" Time: 25:30
Total Races: 18
YTD Race Miles: 153
YTD Total Miles: 970
How Many Miles Did You Run Yesterday, Again?: Twenty

No comments:

Post a Comment