Monday, September 1, 2008

Park to Park 10-mile 2008




"Wow, Doug. You're just setting PR's right and left!"

That was friend and fellow Runner's Edge of the Rockies member Kelly commenting on my 1:33:54 finish at the Park to Park this year. And it sure seems that way. Every major race I've run this year (anything over a 10k), I've set a PR. Heck, I set a half-marathon PR in March, and beat that last month!

I'd had a very good feeling about this race for some time. I knew I'd be able to beat my last 10-mile race time, from the Garden of the Gods back in June, if only because I wouldn't be dealing with the altitude or steep climbing! And I felt pretty confident about beating my time from February's Snowman Stampede (which, come to think of it, was a PR--it was, after all, my first 10-mile race!). I'd slept pretty solid on Saturday night and rested for the whole day Sunday, and was ready for a solid Monday morning race, even though I didn't sleep too well Sunday night.

I arrived at the start line on 23rd street ready to go. I saw and chatted with several RER friends and some others, wishing everybody a good race. I'd taken about a half-mile warmup jog down 23rd, so I knew what I was dealing with for the start of the race: yet another downhill first mile! (Maybe that's been my secret...) I'd have to hold back. That's always been my weakness, but I think I'm getting better at it. I covered the first mile along 23rd in 10:12, very close to the 10:00 I'd set for myself.

After turning south onto Race and then back east along 21st, we found ourselves back in City Park proper. Now, I'm not really a fan of running through City Park. I still have bad memories about having been detoured for an extra half mile during the Colfax Marathon in 2007. Fortunately that was not an issue here, as the course had been mapped out by RaceMeasure and laid out that morning by volunteers who knew what they were doing.

(As a side note, there is a disclaimer on the course map, available on the race website: "RaceMeasure has measured the course following USAT&F guidelines, and stands by the certification. However, RaceMeasure does not set out the course on race-day [sic], and is not responsible for courses not set out precisely according to this map." Ha!)

So we ran through City Park, past the statues of Marcus Aurelius and Martin Luther King Jr and then down to 17th. At the end of 3 miles I was sitting at 30:05, right on schedule. For the next 3 I picked up the pace to 9:30. I ran down Elizabeth St, turning west on 11th and heading into Cheeseman Park. The Irish Snug Running Club runs around Cheeseman, so I'm used to that park. But then, I usually run it fresh, not after having covered better than 4 miles. And let me tell you, that makes a difference! The climbs into and out of Cheeseman felt surprisingly steep! Actually, going south on Elizabeth was about the worst of it, just a steady climb for most of that mile. To make matters even worse, the aid station set at the corner of 11th and Elizabeth was out of water! Just when a refreshing mouthful would have been most welcome.

Seeing my dad at the mile 5 mark coming down through Cheeseman was a huge boost, as was the (fully stocked) at station right there. I faced another climb up 9th Ave, and was through the worst of it, hillwise. I saw my dad again at the mile 6 mark (amazingly, he'd covered the distance in record time, but he probably took a shortcut). "See you at the finish!" I called as I ran past, now pushing myself to a 9-minute pace which I knew I could hold for the rest of the race.

At mile 7 the course turned south on Downing. This was familiar territory for me, thanks to Runner's Edge (actually the whole course is familiar--a big chunk of the Denver Marathon covers almost the exact same layout). At the aid station I heard a female voice call out, "Nice job, Doug!" Unfortunately, I was so focused on my running that I'm not entirely sure who it was--I was already moving past by the time my brain registered the fact that I'd heard my name. Whoever it was--I'm sorry! Let me make it up to you by buying you dinner.

Then after one last climb, it was on to Washington Park for the final 2 miles. Coming into the park I could see and hear the excitement and noise coming from the finish line. My dad was there, too, cheering for me. I held on to my pace for mile 9, and opened it up for the last mile. I finished the last mile in 8:30, including a nice strong kick over the last quarter mile. I met up with my dad at the end, and then stayed for a bit to cheer on and chat with some RER friends. Then it was home for a shower and nap--probably the best part of any race day, followed closely by a tall glass of cold chocolate milk. Which, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to try to track down...

No comments:

Post a Comment